Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Lewis!

I too have a gift for you, though not an original one. Your gift to Tracy was my inspiration and I remember that imitation is the best sort of flattery. So... for your gift I give you A Few Childhood Memories. I searched through my scrapbooks and this is what I found.

Unfortunately, all of this may be blackmail material, but since Tracy testified to your wisdom, hopefully you will be able to protect yourself.

I give you our Barrett Street House.
All of the memories - the shag green carpet, playing Hurrican Holler in that upstairs bedroom on the right, the scary basement and long-lost pets. Do you see that lovely green grass gently sloping to the top of the 5 foot rockery wall that falls steeply to the sidewalk below? I distinctly remember playing with you on that lovely grass - tag, hide and seek, and many more, such as (shall we call it Reckless Twirling) when you would twirl me around by one leg and one arm and then let me go to fly as far as I could only to gently land on the soft grass and hopefully roll to a slow stop without rolling over the rockery crashing to the sidewalk below. I never remember thinking I didn't want to play this game so it must have worked out as often as not. See that old Ford Station wagon. We went on so many trips in that car and never a one of us in a carseat or even buckled in.

I give you our front porch.
Here we are safely sitting with our loving parents close by as we dangle 12 feet above the soft grass below! Lewis, I love the bangs! Aren't we all so cute. Dad! Love those glasses! Don't let go of Layne. (This wasn't how he broke his leg!) Sorry, Rebec and Stef. You just haven't arrived yet! I remember precariously balancing on this wall and walking along it to jump down into the alcove of the front door. Did you do that? I'm sure it was you and Rick who showed me how to do that!

I give you Mary Murray! Do you remember her? I feel like I heard her name for years though I only remember her vaguely. I believe this picture is standing in front of our church building on Magnolia Hill. What was the ward name?

Actually, my favorite memory of Mary Murray has nothing to do with her at all. It was her mother's fuchsia plant that overgrew the sidewalk and called to me to pinch those beautiful blossoms and hear the soft popping sound! Mom's favorite memory of Mrs. Murray is when she came over to our house to tell Mom that she didn't need a little boy telling her she shouldn't be smoking. Oh, you started young at making friends and influencing people.

I give you the Summer of 1975. This was a great summer! Not only did we "do" the family vacation at Disneyland, we also headed to Utah and Fairview with Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Gary, Aunt Joann and the cousins, Cheryl, Kristine and Keith. I love the matching Mickey Mouse shirts and the hat totally works for you. Do you still have your poka dot hat? And Leslee could win a Taryn look-a-like contest!

From the top down, left to right, here we go:Lewis - the oldest cousin, Cheryl and Shelley, Leslee, Martissa, Keith, Kristine and Layne with Mom. This was a fun trip!
I give you a college moving day! At least I think that's what this is. Again, your hair awes and inspires us. Do you remember your large pink comb tucked in your back pocket? This is a great picture of Grandma and Grandpa!
I give you Father's Day in Pleasant Grove, UT.
On my picture I estimated the year either 1984 or 1985 based on Stefanie's age. Can you figure out when this would have been? I want to say before your mission, but now I think Stef was born while you were gone on your mission. She was born in 1982. Were you gone then?

Well, those were all really great memories. I wish I had pictures of water balloon fights in the house or the move from Seattle to Pleasant Grove with you and Rick. But those I just keep in my head. I love you. I hope you have a wonderful Birthday tomorrow.
Martissa

2 comments:

Lewis said...

Thanks so much! Wow...the memories are amazing. We were were all so little and cute. I wish I had as much hair now. Tracy says I'm thinning out some. LOL This is the best birthday ever, thanx to you and Tracy!

Oh, that must have been 1984 with Stef. She looks about 2.

Love you,
Lewis

silleeg said...

Marti, what a great post! Thanks for sharing those memories.

Happy Birthday Lewis!