Sunday, June 19, 2011

AZ fire Part 3

http://www.necn.com/06/19/11/Concern-raised-over-Monument-fire-in-Ari/landing_nation.html?blockID=535969&feedID=4207

The fire is still burning. I talked to my Dad and he said that things are BAD. The winds are at high speeds, it is hot and dry. It sounds like they aren't doing any of the flying because of the winds and poor visibility. That means it is just the guys on the ground. Reports say that they have over 1000 people fighting the fire and about 50 homes have been lost.

Over 21,000 acres (33 square mils) have burned and it is about 27% contained. 12,000 people have been evacuated from their homes. My Dad says that their house is still ok but they don't now if the electricity is working. Without the electricity there is a chance that the tortoises could get overheated and die.

They took the most expensive tortoises with them when the evacuated, but still it would be a HUGE loss if the others were to die. My parents have no idea when they will be able to return to their home. They tried to go check on the animals this morning and can't get anywhere near their house.

I will keep you posted as I hear things.


No comments: